Use this page to help you write a thank you note. Thank you notes can are a wonderful option to show your gratitude in many situations. This can be from a gift, from attending a part, wedding or shower, or to say thanks for a simple act of kindness.
When to send
Thank you notes should be sent very close to when the event or action occurred. Make it timely, and at least within a month.
- Start with a list of everyone you need to thank. This is the bookkeeping task to make sure no one is left un-thanked.
- Make sure you have the correct spelling of the recipient’s first and last name. Even if the thank you note is informal (such as Uncle Bobby), you’ll need to know the full name for mailing your note.
What to use
Buy a thank you card or set of cards
- You can buy thank you cards with themes for any occasion (such as wedding, baby, party) or keep it generic.
- Make sure you pick the correct theme as to not look inconsiderate or forgetful of the event.
- On the flip side, don’t use a baby shower thank you card if thanking your manager for a promotion.
- If buying a set of cards isn’t for you, use personal stationary that includes your name and information and is printed on nice stock of paper.
- Don’t use just a plain old piece of printer paper.
Handwritten or typed?
- Handwritten adds a personal touch and shows you dedicated personal time directly to thanking someone, instead of cutting and pasting from something pre-existing.
- If handwriting is not an option for you, just make sure that the message content is personal and select a font that looks handwritten.
What to say in the note
The toughest aspect of writing a thank you note for most people is what to actually say in the note. Here’s a template for you to follow and customize. The numbers below correspond to our example image here so you can see a full note in practice!
1 – Intro
Start with a warm phrase and the recipient’s name.
- Examples: Dear Mom – Hello Uncle Timmy – To my loving wife
2 – Say thanks
Immediately let the recipient that you are thankful for their gift, time, action, or service.
- Examples: My wife and I are so thankful that you helped with… Thank you for taking the time to visit us when….. Thank you so much for the [name of gift]…
- Example if you’ve been delayed in sending thank you: We’ve been intending to send something sooner, but life has just been flying by!
3 – Add an personal touch and additional details
Include additional details, a personal story, or state that you’re looking forward to seeing them again soon.
- Examples: We could never have finished our project without your help…. Seeing you when [incident] happened really made us happy …. I can’t wait to try out my new [name of gift]…
4 – End the note
Take a moment to say thanks once more time for what the recipient did and end with a nice closing regards. Sign your name or names after the regard.
- Examples: Love, – With all our love, – Sincerely, – Truly thankful,